The night guard is a dental device used to treat various dental issues, such as bruxism and sleep apnea. It is placed on the teeth to prevent wear and tension caused by clenching or grinding. The night guard is a non-invasive and effective treatment to prevent different dental problems. In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about night guards and their benefits.
What is a night guard?
A night guard is a dental device used to prevent wear and tension on the teeth. It is a custom-made device placed over the upper or lower teeth and is used to treat various dental issues, such as bruxism, sleep apnea, and jaw muscle tension.
How does it work?
The night guard works by protecting the teeth from wear and tension caused by clenching or grinding. It also helps relieve pressure on the jaw muscles and improve sleep quality. The custom-made nature of the device ensures a comfortable and secure fit.
What are the benefits?
The night guard has many benefits for dental and overall health, including:
- Preventing tooth wear and fractures: It protects teeth from wear and fractures caused by bruxism.
- Relieving muscle tension: It helps alleviate muscle tension in the jaw and face, reducing pain and discomfort associated with bruxism.
- Improving sleep quality: It can help improve sleep quality for people with sleep apnea.
- Protecting dental implants: It can protect dental implants from excessive tension and wear.
- Enhancing dental aesthetics: It can also improve dental aesthetics by preventing tooth wear and fractures.
How is the night guard made?
The night guard is custom-made in the dental office. The dentist will take impressions of the patient’s teeth to create a personalized night guard. The device can be made of different materials, such as acrylic and polycarbonate.
How to care for a night guard?
To properly care for a night guard, follow these recommendations:
- Clean it daily with a soft brush and warm water.
- Do not use abrasive or whitening toothpaste, as it can damage the night guard.
- Avoid exposing it to excessive heat, as it can warp or become damaged.
- Store it in a protective case when not in use to prevent dirt or damage.
How to use a night guard?
The night guard is placed over the upper or lower teeth and used during the night. It is important to follow the dentist’s instructions for the best results and to ensure a comfortable and secure fit. Some recommendations include:
- Do not adjust the night guard yourself, as it can cause damage or decrease its effectiveness.
- Wear the night guard every night, following the dentist’s recommendations.
- Keep the night guard clean and safe when not in use.
Is the night guard manufacturing process painful?
The night guard manufacturing process is not painful at all. The dentist will take impressions of the patient’s teeth and send the impressions to a dental laboratory to create the custom night guard. The impression process may feel slightly uncomfortable, but it should not cause pain.
The night guard is an effective dental device to prevent wear and tension on the teeth and treat various dental issues, such as bruxism and sleep apnea. It also offers many benefits for dental and overall health, such as relieving muscle tension and improving sleep quality. If you are experiencing any of these dental issues, it is important to talk to your dentist about a night guard and whether it is suitable for you. At Dental Asensio, we have the best specialists in this field. If you are interested, do not hesitate to contact us.